A soft and tender cake studded with juicy blueberries and topped with a delicious cinnamon streusel. Perfect as a healthy breakfast, afternoon snack, or alongside your favorite warm beverage. So easy to make and made with real, simple ingredients. This healthy Blueberry Crumb Cake is paleo-friendly (gluten/grain/dairy free), refined sugar free, and nut free!
What Does This Healthy Blueberry Crumb Cake Taste Like?
This Blueberry Crumb Cake is airy but moist, just perfectly sweet, and absolutely delicious. The cake is wonderfully light, but made with whole food ingredients it’s nutrient rich and incredibly satisfying making it perfect as a healthy breakfast. A whole cup of blueberries is stirred into the batter adding bursts of delicious juicy sweetness to the cake. And of course this wouldn’t be a crumb cake without an ample layer of cinnamon streusel. This cake is perfect for spring and summer when blueberries are in season, but can be made with frozen blueberries if you prefer!
Here’s why you will LOVE this healthy Blueberry Crumb Cake Recipe!
- A soft and moist cake bursting with juicy blueberries.
- Topped with a delicious cinnamon streusel topping.
- Delicious for breakfast but is also a great anytime snack!
- So easy to make and made with healthy ingredients.
- The perfect seasonal cake for spring and into summer.
What Ingredients Are Used to Make This Blueberry Coffee Cake?
This healthy Blueberry Crumb Cake recipe is made healthier as it contains no refined sugars, flours, or oils. This recipe is paleo-friendly meaning it is gluten free, grain free, and dairy free. It also happens to be nut free!
Here’s a look at the ingredients you’ll need and some possible variations:
- Coconut Sugar – The best granular sweetener for refined sugar free baking. In this recipe I use part coconut sugar and part maple syrup to counteract the dryness of the cassava flour. I use Nutiva’s Coconut Sugar for the great quality and price!
- Maple Syrup – Adds sweetness and is delicious with the blueberry and cinnamon flavors in this crumb cake.
- Tahini – Instead of oil I use a thin and drippy sesame seed paste (tahini) to make this cake light but moist. Feel free to sub with any thinner nut/seed butter you like that contains only 1 ingredient.
- Eggs – Makes the cake soft and airy.
- Vanilla – Adds more flavor to the cake.
- Cassava Flour – An unrefined flour that is gluten, grain, and nut free and has a neutral flavor like conventional white flour but is a whole food! I use and love Otto’s.
- Tapioca Flour – Thickens the dough while keeping it light.
- Cinnamon – Adds flavor to the cake and the streusel.
- Baking Powder – Helps the cake rise.
- Salt – Enhances all the flavors.
- Coconut Oil – To create the streusel topping, coconut oil is mashed into the dry ingredients creating a moist crumbly mixture.
- Blueberries – Feel free to use fresh or frozen. If using frozen, be sure to thaw a few minutes before adding to the batter.
- Nut/Seed Milk – Adds more moisture to the cake. Use any milk you like!
How Do You Make Healthy Crumb Cake From Scratch?
This Blueberry Crumb Cake is really, SO easy to make. The batter comes together in just one bowl and the streusel in another. You can prep this healthy breakfast cake in under 20 minutes and it bakes up in just over 30 minutes. Plus it’s SUPER freezer-friendly! Here’s a look at the steps:
- Make the streusel by mixing the dry ingredients together in a small bowl, then mash in coconut oil until a moist clumpy mixture forms. Use a fork or your fingers!
- Make the cake batter by mixing the wet ingredients together, then add in the dry ingredients until a thick batter forms. Add the nut/milk seed and stir until the batter is well combined and glossy.
- Fold the blueberries into the batter, gently, taking care not to bruise or break the blueberries. I find a silicone spatula is best for this job.
- Spread batter into a baking dish. Any 8 or 9 inch square dish will do. I use and love this pan!
- Top with streusel.
- Bake, cool, slice, and enjoy!
Is Coffee Cake Freezer Friendly?
Yes! Coffee cakes are very freezer friendly! Slice and store in an airtight container or in a stasher bag, for up to a few month. When ready to eat, warm briefly in the microwave or in a hot oven for a few minutes.
This Blueberry Crumb Cake is the perfect seasonal healthy breakfast recipe for spring and into summertime when blueberries are ripe and in-season. The cake is just perfectly sweet, light and tender, spiced with cinnamon for those cozy vibes, packed with juicy blueberries, and topped with an additicting sweet streusel topping. So easy to make, made with real ingredients, and absolutely delicious, this is bound to start your day off right.
paleo friendly (gluten/grain/dairy free), refined sugar free, nut free
More Healthy Blueberry Recipes!
- Lemon Blueberry Bread (paleo)
- Blueberry Crumble Bars (paleo, nut free)
- Easy Baked Blueberry Donuts (paleo & nut free)
SHARE THE LOVE!
If you make this recipe, please spread the love by leaving a review or rating down below. And I’d LOVE to see and share your creation! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @freshlydafna in your feed or stories and I will share on my account!
Healthy Blueberry Crumb Cake
A soft cake studded with juicy blueberries and topped with a delicious cinnamon streusel. This healthy Blueberry Crumb Cake is so easy to make and made with only real, simple ingredients. It's the perfect healthy breakfast or anytime snack!
paleo friendly (gluten/grain/dairy free), refined sugar free, nut free
- 1/4 cup (36 grams) coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) tapioca flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil softened slightly if very firm
- 1/2 cup (72 grams) coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup (90 grams) maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (65 grams) tahini sub thin & drippy nut/seed butter
- 2 eggs ideally room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup (180 grams) cassava flour, spooned and leveled
- 2 tbsp (15 grams) tapioca flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp dairy free milk of choice
Heat oven to 350 degrees and prepare an 8 or 9 inch square baking dish by lining with parchment paper leaving a short overhang off the sides.
Prepare the crumb topping. In a small bowl, mix together the coconut sugar, tapioca flour, and cinnamon until well combined. Using a fork or your fingertips work the coconut oil into the dry ingredients until a moist clumpy mixture forms. Set aside.
Make the cake batter. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or a large bowl if mixing by hand, beat together the coconut sugar, maple sugar, tahini, eggs, and vanilla until light and bubbly.
Add the cassava flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and stir until well combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix again briefly. Add the milk and stir until fully incorporated, scraping down the bowl once or twice more to ensure ingredients are evenly distributed. The batter will be thick and glossy.
Fold the blueberries into the batter, gently, using a silicone spatula trying not to bruise or pop the fruit.
Pour the batter into the baking dish and gently spread it out towards the edges of the dish creating an even layer.
Add crumb topping. Sprinkle crumb mixture all over the top of the cake batter.
Bake for 32-34 minutes or until top has puffed and crumb top is golden brown. Test for doneness by poking a toothpick into the center, it should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
Let cool, slice, and enjoy!
Storage: This will keep stored in an airtight container for a day or so. Afterwards, slice any uneaten portion and freeze for longer storage.
Tahini - Use any nut/seed butter you like, with a thinner consistency and only 1 ingredient. Some good alternatives are almond butter or peanut butter. My tahini of choice for baking is Whole Food's 365 Brand. Alway stir the nut/seed well in the jar before measuring and do not use the compacted paste at the bottom of the jar for baking.
Freshly Dafna is on Pinterest! Save this recipe by pinning this image!
This post may contain affiliate links. Any product I include in a post is one that I’m currently using and loving. If you do choose to purchase these products, I may earn a commission, which helps support my site and the free content I provide.