Healthy and delicious muffins with a jolt of coffee and studded with chocolate chunks. These muffins are soft and fluffy and perfect for breakfast or an afternoon pick-me-up! So easy to make, in just one bowl, and with only 11 real, simple ingredients. These Coffee Chocolate Chunk Muffins are paleo-friendly (gluten/grain/dairy free), refined sugar free, and nut free!
What Do These Healthy Coffee Chocolate Chunk Muffins Taste Like?
These Coffee Chocolate Chunk Muffins are the perfect healthy muffins recipe for breakfast! They are wonderfully soft and fluffy with the always satisfying combination of coffee and chocolate. Enjoy these with your morning coffee for a double-caffeinated breakfast and to cure those afternoon sweet/caffeine cravings! These muffins are made with better-for-you ingredients so really, they would be the perfect snack for anytime of day!
Here’s why you will LOVE these muffins!
- Texture is so soft and fluffy.
- Coffee and chocolate are amazing together.
- So easy to make and in just one bowl!
- Bake up quick and can be done in under 30 minutes!
- Perfect for breakfast or an afternoon pick-me-up!
What Ingredients Are Used to Make These Paleo-Friendly Muffins?
These Coffee Chocolate Chunks Muffins have only 11 real, simple ingredients and are made healthier as they contain no refined sugars, flours, or oils. They are paleo-friendly meaning they are gluten free, grain free, and dairy free. They also happen to be nut free!
Here’s a look at the ingredients you’ll need and some possible variations:
- Coconut Sugar – The best sweetener for refined sugar free baking. I love the natural caramel notes it adds to the coffee flavor in these muffins. I highly recommend Nutiva’s Coconut Sugar.
- Avocado Oil – Adds the perfect amount of moisture in the muffins. Feel free to sub for olive oil or melted and cooled coconut oil.
- Eggs – Makes the muffins fluffy.
- Vanilla – Delicious with the coffee and chocolate.
- Cassava Flour – An unprocessed flour that is gluten, grain, and nut free, it’s the perfect flour for healthier baking. I use and love Otto’s.
- Tapioca Flour – Cassava flour is a very thirsty flour, so using tapioca flour in addition to cassava helps keeps the muffins light without making too floury.
- Instant Espresso Powder – The perfect ingredient to infuse a delicious coffee flavor into muffins, it’s just stirred directly into the batter. No need to brew and cool coffee!
- Baking Powder – Gives the muffins the right amount of rise.
- Salt – Adds balance to all the flavors.
- Dairy Free Milk – Thins out the batter but also makes the muffins soft and moist. Use your favorite nut/seed milk of choice! I use homemade almond milk, here’s my post on how to make nut milk at home!
- Chopped Chocolate – Chocolate chunks make for better melty streaks of chocolate in the muffins. Feel free to use chocolate chips if you prefer! I use Theo’s Pure Dark 70% chocolate because it’s great quality but also fair trade and organic! To keep these refined sugar free use you favorite maple or coconut sugar sweetened chocolate chopped into chunks. Good options are Hu Simple Dark or Eating Evolved.
How Do You Make Healthy Muffins From Scratch?
Muffins, in general, are usually really easy to make, and these are no exception! The batter can easily be mixed by hand, is made in just one bowl, and bakes up quick so these can be done in just 30 minutes! They are perfect to make ahead and freeze for a quick, easy, and healthy breakfast on-the-go!
Here’s an overview of the steps:
- Mix the wet ingredients together until light and fluffy.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir until just well combined.
- Add the milk and mix until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the chocolate chunks.
- Pour batter into muffin cups. This muffin tin and these eco-friendly baking cups are my favorite.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes. The key to getting perfectly fluffy muffins is baking them at a slightly higher temperature so they brown and puff up. Then dropping the temperature to the usual 350 to maintain a soft and moist center.
- Let cool and enjoy!
These are best enjoyed the same day, but muffins are also very freezer-friendly! Store in an airtight container or stasher bag. Just reheat in the microwave, a warm oven, or let thaw at room temperature when ready to enjoy!
These are the perfect healthy muffins for breakfast and a double cure for those afternoon sweet and caffeine cravings! This recipe is so easy to make and uses only real, simple ingredients! Perfectly soft and fluffy, with a hit of coffee, and studded with dark chocolate, these muffins are sure to set you up for a real good day.
paleo friendly (gluten/grain/dairy free), naturally sweetened, nut free
More Muffin Recipes!
- Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Muffins (paleo-ish, nut free option)
- Grapefruit Ginger Muffins (paleo & nut-free)
- Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins (paleo)
SHARE THE LOVE!
If you make this recipe, please spread the love and leave a review or rating down below. And I’d LOVE to see and share your creation! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @freshlydafna in your feed or stories and I will share on my account!
Freshly Dafna is on Pinterest! Save this recipe by pinning this image!
This post may contain affiliate links. Any product I include in a post is one that I’m currently using and loving. If you do choose to purchase these products, I may earn a commission, which helps support my site and the free content I provide.