December has arrived! Cue the gingerbread and peppermint flavored treats! Starting off the gingerbread season with a fluffy stack of Gingerbread Pancakes. These are light and fluffy pancakes spiked with all the requisite spices to achieve the perfect gingerbread flavor: lots of ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. It’s a perfectly spiced, seasonally-appropriate, healthified pancake stack to head into the holiday season and make those mornings extra cozy and festive.
What Do These Gingerbread Pancakes Taste Like?
These pancakes are thick but still light and fluffy, the ideal pancake texture. They are soft, a little dense, perfectly chewy, and have just the right amount of moisture to welcome a healthy drizzle of maple syrup but are just fine on their own. Lightly sweetened with coconut sugar and spiked with all the warming spices typical in a classic gingerbread recipe. It’s like a stack of gingerbread cookies in pancake form!
These pancakes are SO easy to make! I like to mix up the batter in my Pyrex measuring cup and pour them directly into the hot pan, so minimal dishes are used to prep and make these!
Here’s a rundown of the steps:
- Mix dairy-free milk with 1 tbsp lemon juice and let sit for 3 minutes. This makes the pancakes super fluffy and reminiscent of buttermilk pancakes.
- Whisk in the egg or your favorite vegan egg-replacement like a flax egg or premade egg substitute.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and gently mix until fully combined.
- Heat the pan over medium heat with a little oil if your pan requires it.
- Pour batter into the pan. I find that 1/4 cup batter makes the perfect sized pancake. This recipe makes exactly five 1/4 cup pancakes. But make any size you like!
- Let cook for 2-3 minutes and flip to cook other side.
- Repeat with all batter.
- Top with your favorite toppings and/or maple syrup.
Some topping ideas: A tart winter fruit like cranberry, pomegranate, or maybe some orange slices. Whipped cream or vanilla yogurt. Crunchy bits like pistachios, pecans, or sunflower seeds!
These pancakes are made better-for-you as they contain no refined sugars, flours, or oils. They are also paleo-friendly meaning they are free from gluten, grain, and dairy. Plus, they are easily made vegan by replacing the egg with your favorite vegan-friendly egg replacement.
Here’s a look at the ingredients you will need to make these:
- Nut/Seed Milk – Use any milk you like! I always use whatever homemade nut/seed milk I have on-hand. To see how to make your own dairy free milk, check out this post here!
- Lemon Juice – Helps the pancakes fluff and create a buttermilk-like effect without the use of dairy.
- Egg – Gives these pancakes some fluff! Easily substituted for your favorite vegan-friendly replacement.
- Almond Flour – The base of the pancakes and makes them gluten and grain free! The almond flour gives them a deliciously dense and chewy texture.
- Tapioca Flour – Tapioca flour helps thicken the batter and gives them crispy crusts.
- Coconut Flour – There is only 1 tbsp of coconut flour and not really detectable in the flavor, but gives the pancakes some extra body.
- Baking Soda & Baking Powder – To give even more fluff to the pancakes.
- Spices & Salt – All the classic gingerbread spices that you probably already have in your pantry: ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg!
These Gingerbread Pancakes are gluten, grain, and dairy free, but really taste delicious, are oh-so-fluffy and the perfect festive breakfast to ring in the holiday season! This recipe makes about 4-5 pancakes, which, if you’re asking me really serves one person for a hearty breakfast. Two people if you’re keeping things light or having it with other dishes. This recipe is easy to double, or triple (!), if you’re feeding a crowd! This is perfect for leisurely weekend mornings but the recipe is so easy you could easily whip them up on a busy weekday!
paleo friendly (gluten/grain/dairy free), naturally sweetened, vegan, oil free
SHARE THE LOVE!
If you made this recipe, please spread the love by leaving a review or rating down below. And I’d LOVE to see and share your creation! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @freshlydafna in your feed or stories and I will share on my account!
Fluffy Gingerbread Pancakes
Thick and fluffy pancakes spiked with all the classic gingerbread spices. These healthier pancakes are incredibly delicious and made with a few simple ingredients. Made in just one bowl! The perfect festive breakfast to celebrate the holiday season.
paleo (gluten/grain/dairy free), refined sugar free, vegan option
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg (or sub flax egg/egg replacer if vegan)
- 3/4 cup almond flour (95 grams)
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour (30 grams)
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (16 grams)
- 1 tbsp coconut flour (8 grams)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- dash sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp powdered ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
In a medium mixing bowl, or preferably in a 2 cup measuring cup with a spout, mix together the milk and lemon juice. Let sit for 2 minutes. The mixture will look broken, this creates the "buttermilk".
Next whisk in the egg or egg substitute until it's well mixed and frothy.
Then add all the remaining dry ingredients to the wet and stir until batter is just uniform and evenly distributed.
Heat coconut oil, butter, or ghee in a large pan/skillet over a heat that's just over medium flame.
Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into the heated pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
Repeat with remaining batter.
Enjoy with your favorite toppings and/or maple syrup!!!
Freshly Dafna is on Pinterest! Save this recipe by pinning this image!
This post may contain affiliate links. Any product I include in a post is one that I’m currently using and loving. If you do choose to purchase these products, I may earn a commission, which helps support my site and the free content I provide.