Strawberry Shortcake but as delicious chocolate covered bites! These healthy and easy no-bake treats have buttery, soft and chewy centers, reminiscent of shortcake, and layered with a delicious homemade strawberry filling. Sweetened with maple sugar and made with only real, simple ingredients these sweet bites are the perfect healthy snack! This no bake recipe is vegan, paleo-friendly (gluten/grain/dairy free), oil free, and refined sugar free!
What Do These Chocolate Covered Strawberry Shortcake Bites Taste Like?
These healthy Strawberry Shortcake-inspired bites are soft, chewy, rich and buttery. Like a shortcake flavored no bake cookie dough that is layered with an easy homemade strawberry jam that’s bright and sweet with strawberry chunks throughout. Then smothered in chocolate, because strawberries and chocolate is always a welcome combination. These are really the perfect anytime snack! Made with only real, simple ingredients and with an added protein powder boost I would even go as far as to say that these would make a delicious pre/post work-out treat!
Here’s why you will LOVE these No-Bake Strawberry Shortcakes!
- So easy to make!
- Soft, chewy, bright, fruity and absolutely delicious!
- The perfect healthy snack for any time of day.
- Skip the chocolate coating and enjoy these as no bake energy bites.
- Like a strawberry shortcake but made with nutrient dense ingredients!
What Ingredients Are Used to Make This Healthy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe?
These healthy Strawberry Shortcake treats are made with only 10 real, simple ingredients. They are paleo-friendly meaning they are gluten free, grain free, and dairy free. These delicious bites are entirely sweetened with maple syrup, they are also vegan, and oil free!
Here’s a look at the ingredients you’ll need and some possible variations:
- Strawberries – For the strawberry mixture I use fresh strawberries because they are in season and wonderfully sweet. Feel free to use frozen if that’s more accessible or what you have on hand.
- Maple Syrup – The only added sweetener in both the strawberry and shortcake layers. Sub with any other liquid sweetener you like such a coconut syrup, honey, or agave.
- Lemon Juice – Adds a bit of brightness and balance to the strawberry jam.
- Tapioca Flour – To make a quick homemade jam, we add tapioca flour when heating the strawberries to create a thick syrup-like mixture.
- Almond Flour – The perfect flour for a no-bake treat, it’s packed with nutrients and healthy fats. I use and love Bob’s superfine almond flour.
- Vanilla Protein Powder – I add protein powder to the shortcake to make these a more healthful and filling treat, but feel free to leave it out. We love Nuzest Vanilla Protein Powder, it’s vegan and has the perfect sweet vanilla flavor.
- Cashew Butter – Gives the shortcake the perfect rich butterness. Feel free to use any other nut/seed butter that you love and sounds good with strawberries! I’d recommend tahini, sunflower, or peanut butter would be delicious. My preferred cashew butter is by Artisana.
- Nut/Seed Milk – Adds moisture to the shortcake. Use any dairy free milk you like!
- Chopped Chocolate – The chocolate coating is made with only chopped dark chocolate. Any chocolate you love will do! My current go-to chocolate is Theo’s Pure Dark 70% chocolate, it’s organic and fair trade! To keep these strictly paleo use your favorite maple or coconut sugar sweetened chocolate like Hu Simple Dark or Eating Evolved.
How Do You Make No-Bake Strawberry Shortcake Bites?
These healthy no-bake Strawberry Shortcake Bites are so quick and easy to make. The no bake cookie dough-like base comes together in just one bowl and the strawberry jam is made in about 6 minutes!
Here’s an overview of the steps:
- Prepare loaf pan by lining with parchment paper. I use a Pullman loaf pan to make squares with straight edges.
- Make the strawberry jam. Just cook the ingredients in a small pot until thick and glossy.
- Make the shortcake by mixing everything together in a bowl.
- Layer it up! Add half the shortcake mixture to the loaf pan, then the strawberry jam, top with remaining shortcake and press everything down into the pan.
- Chill! This is the hardest part. Everything needs to firm in the freezer for at least an hour, but chilling for longer will make it more firm and easier to slice and coat.
- Cut into cubes or any shape you like!
- Coat in chocolate, let set, and ENJOY!
Keep these strawberry cuties in the fridge for 2 weeks or the freezer for several months!
These healthy, easy, and delicious Strawberry Shortcake-inspired bites are the perfect anytime treat but especially during these warm weather months when strawberries are sweet and in-season. They only take a few minutes to prep and there’s no need to turn on the oven! Made with only real, simple ingredients these sweet no bake treats are nutrient dense and spiked with protein powder to make for a seriously good healthy snack! We loving call these “Strawb Shorties” and I have a feeling they’ll find a special place in your heart (or, stomach?) too.
paleo friendly (gluten/grain/dairy free), naturally sweetened, vegan, oil free
Check Out These No-Bake Treats!
- Cake Batter Balls (no bake, vegan, paleo)
- Tahini Rice Crispy Treats (vegan, no bake)
- Cake Batter Rice Crispy Treats (vegan & gluten free)
SHARE THE LOVE!
If you make this recipe, please spread the love by leaving a review or rating down below. And I’d LOVE to see and share your creation! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @freshlydafna in your feed or stories and I will share on my account!
Healthy Strawberry Shortcake Bites
Strawberry Shortcake but in delicious chocolate covered bites! Soft and chewy with a buttery richness reminiscent of shortcake layered with homemade strawberry sauce. Sweetened with maple sugar and with only real, simple ingredients these sweet bites are the perfect healthy snack!
paleo (gluten/grain/dairy free), vegan, naturally sweetened, oil free
- 1 1/2 cups (180 grams) diced strawberries, about 6 1/2 oz
- 3 tbsp (60 grams) maple syrup agave, coconut syrup, or honey
- 1/2 tbsp (5 grams) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (8 grams) tapioca flour
- 1 1/4 cup (188 grams) almond flour, packed
- 5 tbsp vanilla protein powder or sub additional almond flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup (78 grams) maple syrup agave, coconut syrup, or honey
- 1/4 cup (68 grams) cashew butter sub other nut/seed butter
- 1-2 tbsp nut/seed milk of choice
- 1 cup chopped chocolate of choice
Prepare a loaf pan by lining with parchment paper and leaving short overhangs over the edges.
Make the strawberry jam by adding all the ingredients to a small pot and heat over a low flame. Once the strawberries start to soften (after about a minute) raise heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes or until mixture has reduced down and is thick and shiny. Remove from heat and set aside.
Make the shortbread mixture. In a large bowl mix together the almond flour, protein powder, and salt. Add the maple syrup, cashew butter, and 1 tbsp of milk and stir well. The mixture should look like a thick cookie dough batter. If the batter is still too thick add a bit more milk. If batter is too thin, add more cashew butter.
Distribute half the shortbread mixture into the loaf pan and press down slightly.
Pour the strawberry jam over the shortbread base, then distribute the remaining shortbread mixture over the jam and use a rubber spatula to press everything down into an even layer.
Place the loaf pan in the freezer to chill for at least 1 hour. The longer it chills the easier it will be to slice and cover in chocolate. Once firm, use overhang to lift up out of the pan, cut into squares or desired shape and place on a silicone or parchment paper line baking sheet. Return to freezer.
Melt the chocolate in a heat safe bowl over a double boiler or in short 5 second bursts in the microwave. Once chocolate has mostly melted, stir until smooth and shiny. Set aside for a few minutes to let cool.
Coat the shortcake bites. Dunk each square into the chocolate and use a fork to turn it over so the chocolate coats it completely, lift the square out of the bowl and tap the fork on the edges of the bowl to remove excess chocolate. Place the coated bite back on the baking sheet to let set completely. Repeat with remaining squares.
Once chocolate is firm and set, enjoy!
Storage: These will keep in the fridge for about 2 weeks or in freezer for a few months!
Frozen Strawberries - If using frozen strawberries, be sure to cut the strawberries to small pieces before cookie.
Cashew Butter - Feel free to use any other nut/seed butter that you love and sounds good with strawberries! I’d recommend tahini, sunflower, or peanut butter would be delicious.
Maple Syrup - Any liquid sweetener will do. Honey, agave, or coconut syrup are all good options.
Chocolate Coating - Is optional! While I never skip an opportunity to add chocolate to something, these are pretty amazing even without the coating. These would make an awesome pre/post work out treat!
Freshly Dafna is on Pinterest! Save this recipe by pinning this image!
This post may contain affiliate links. Any product I include in a post is one that I’m currently using and loving. If you do choose to purchase these products, I may earn a commission, which helps support my site and the free content I provide.